WBO Organized Play Updates March 2024: Organizer Time Limits, Legacy Format Equipment

Hello World Bladers!

Today we have some very interesting new rules to share with you that all Organizers and Organizers to-be should know about going forward. This ranges from time limits on late processing and tournament result errors to even scheduling an interview with Organized Play during the Organizer admission process. 

At the end we also continue to show support and open doors for Organizers that love older and harder-to-acquire generations with a bit of lee-way as to what equipment is allowed for a "Ranked" event.

• [IMPORTANT] Organizer Duties: Late Processing and Processing Errors!
  • [IMPORTANT] Organizer Applications: Codifying Prescriptive Period!
  • [IMPORTANT] Legacy Formats: Legal Equipment Now Reflective of Current Times!

Organizer Duties: Dealing with Delinquent Organizer Duties 

For some time Organizer Duties have been quite lax, and in some ways we are increasing our efforts to make things more simplified as a way to promote hosting and reduce backlog on our end. Having said that, we have found over the years that the usual method of dealing with overly-late or never submitted spreadsheets for Organized Play Ranked events may not be the best.

Instead, we have decided to take a different turn when assessing late submitted Ranked Event spreadsheets and duties overall. In the past, if an Organizer did not submit any information for their Ranked event a member of Organized Play would do their best to fill in, process the event, and that Organizer would have their role stripped for some time.

Not only is this a lot of work internally, but it also does little in the way of stopping Organizers from lazing about post-event and just re-taking the Quiz and Interview later on when they feel more interested in organizing events again. Instead, if your Ranked Event has not been updated to include all the post-Organizer duties within 12 weeks, that event will now also be unranked. We will not put further resources into supporting complacent Organizers without just cause.

We have also seen that, on rare occasion, a small mistake in outcomes or inputs for an event bracket will go unnoticed or unmentioned for months. If you notice an error in a processed event and do not notify Organized Play within 12 weeks, that incorrect result will be permanently reflected in the system and go unchanged.

Organizer Applicants: Coordinating an Interview Within 3 Months

Tangentially related to Organizer duties is the actual road to becoming an Organizer and coordinating with the Organized Play team to facilitate your transition to the Organizer role. We have also applied a 12 week/3 month period for prospective Organizers that have passed the Organizer's Quiz to coordinate with us for an interview date.

If you are a to-be Organizer that has passed the Organizer's Quiz, you now have 12 weeks/3 months to schedule an interview time with the Organized Play Team. If you are unable to schedule an interview with us within that period, your status will be reset and you will need to retake the Organizer's Quiz at a later date.

It should be noted that exceptions do apply, so if there is a reason why you are able to pass the Quiz but unable to schedule an Interview within the next 3 months please directly inform your interviewer.

Legacy Formats: Loosening Equipment Restrictions for PLA/HMS/MFB

A Format's time in the sun comes and goes, but in some cases its shine continues well after its intended run and official product stock has dwindled. Many solutions to this dwindling have been posited over the years. The WBO Organized Play's official stance has always been to put a focus on the "Beyblade" part of our community's name, with all respect, credit, and honour being placed upon official license holders and distributors of the game we love to play.

Our rules for older formats have always been and will always continue to be focused on official products first. With that said, the needs of the communities that play these formats must also be heard, especially when they are having more and more trouble playing the game and end up creating their own non-official methods of keeping their community and passion alive.

As a result we have slightly relaxed the wording and removed the Ranked Match Stadium focus on our "Legal Equipment" Section of the following rulebooks: Plastics & HMS, Metal Fight Format. We have yet to come to such a dilapidated state with the Zero-G or Burst Formats, both of which still have untouched/live official stock in large supply in the MENA region, and as a result restrictions on Ranked event legal equipment will remain as tight as ever.

Here is both the existing section as well as how the changes will read/affect events:

\Legacy Formats' "Legal Equipment Section" Wrote:Only official ... products produced by Hasbro, Takara-Tomy, and Sonokong can be used.

New \Legacy Formats' "Legal Equipment Section" Wrote:Only official products produced by Hasbro, Takara-Tomy, Sonokong are recommended for Ranked Play.

*Removal of specifically recommended/enforced Stadiums for Ranked Play.

Some may see this as a blank cheque to run Ranked tournaments in metal woks, on concrete, or with dangerous counterfeits/custom attachments. This is not the case. Every submission is carefully reviewed and the Organized Play team has the right to deny any proposals on the platform for any reason. This aims to rejuvenate older, expensive Formats rather than entice modification.

Our efforts slowly bring us closer to reaching the summit of Organizer independence and freedom, but this comes with a price: detailed submissions. Often enough, this is not a problem for Organizers, but we expect continued emphasis to be placed on specifying an event's rules of engagement when combing through event proposal submissions. 

If you want to use unlicensed equipment of any kind, it must be explicitly mentioned in the tournament post for both Organized Play and to-be Participants to review and come to a conclusion on. We expect accurate and detailed submissions of what equipment is expected to be used for your event.

If people support what you're planning or using for an event, they will show it with attendance.

Feedback?
Your input is greatly appreciated If you have any feedback on these particular changes, or any questions or suggestions for further adjustments or additions, please post your thoughts below or in the WBO Organized Play Rules thread

Thank you to everyone for your continued support of WBO Organized Play! We appreciate any and all feedback and are always looking to improve and clarify things where possible.
This is awesome! Thank you (the staff) so much for these updates. With legal stadiums becoming more and more expensive, the ability to play “ranked” in good quality substitutes (Shin TA, Summit, Ali-10, etc) is game changing. A very big step forward in preserving legacy formats 👏👏
Oh my god! What a W! Thanks guys!!! This is amazing for reproductions.

I assume this also means that for legacy formats we can also use other official yet previously unapproved stadiums for ranked play in MFB?

Heinous example; but my wife could run a legal tournament, ranked for Metal fight Limited in the Dragoon Hurricane if everyone was on board?
Very great changes, for organizer penalities it makes perfect sense to me and it is extremely reasonable I feel it doesn't make sense to not do work for so long then expect it to get processed it is not far to the people that put the work to process the events.

For legacy equipment, it makes the most obvious sense to do this change Beyblade even if you want to say lots etc.. can be fund it is more cost-effective and smart to have the change for more accessibility.

It opens a better path for the future for people who want to host here and is the most quality of life change I have seen in a bit with the WBO so hats off to the team for all the work to get this done.
These are great changes for Plastic gen and other legacy formats where sometimes official stuff is much harder to find. Great work Dan!
Great work!
12 weeks still seems like a very long time to do a small amount of data entry. I usually do my spreadsheet and pre-processing the same day, and if I don’t, than it basically eats me alive until I get it done. I can’t really understand how anyone is waiting 12 weeks to process their events, let alone any longer than that.
SUMMIT LEGAL YEAAAAHHHH FKEHDVDIANLSDB