WBO Organized Play Updates April 2023: MFL Ban List Revision + Burst Hasbro-Only

Hello World Bladers!

Today we are announcing a change to the long-standing Metal Fight Limited ban list, a commitment to experiment further with the fan favourite format, and introducing Hasbro Only to all Burst Formats (not just Standard anymore)!

Updates Overview
  • [IMPORTANT] Metal Fight Limited Format: Ban List Revision 
  • [IMPORTANT] Metal Fight Limited Format: Watch List Additions
  • [IMPORTANT] All Burst Formats: Universal "Hasbro Only" Ruling

Metal Fight Limited Format: Libra Wheel (Metal System) and Dark Knight/Ronin Crystal Wheel Unbanned!

These two parts have a long history in the Metal Fight Limited Format and were hotly debated on for numerous reasons throughout the years.

In 2015 the Libra Wheel was banned in competitive play because it was seeing too much use, and at the time it made the most sense to remove it from the legal pool to let other great parts have a chance to shine.

In 2016 the Dark Knight/Ronin Crystal Wheel was banned in competitive play because it too was found to be very powerful and versatile. It was shelved to let other parts and combos see more consideration by competitive players.

Years have come and gone, and the relatively recent Metal Fight resurgence has only highlighted the fact that the MFL metas have become more intricate and nuanced than ever before. Because of these advancements over the course of nearly a decade, it only feels right to try to bring Libra and Dark Knight back into the fold. 

One can provide an additional weighty Defense answer to very potent Attack combos that have run amok few the past few years and the other can bring many different Chrome Wheels back into relevancy - no longer is MFL's motto "Wyvang or nothing".

Effective immediately the Libra and Dark Knight/Ronin Crystal Wheels are legal for use in the Metal Fight Limited Format. The Metal Fight Format Rulebook's Limited Ban List will reflect this change.

Metal Fight Limited Format: Watch List Additions!

As with all potentially polarizing additions or exclusions, we will be keeping a very close eye on the format to ensure that consistent or worrying trends are dealt with appropriately. 

This is especially important given the new ban list revision is just one of multiple possibilities the MFB community wants to experiment with when it comes to addressing the "power level" of the format.

While we definitely want to give the above changes some time to settle and develop, we are not afraid to rollback or implement different ideas if things don't pan out over time. Nothing is ever set in stone. Our proof of that commitment coming in the form of the following parts being immediately put on the Watch List:

MFL Watch List Wrote:
  • Gravity Metal Wheel
  • Libra Metal Wheel
  • Dark Knight Crystal Wheel

The addition of the Gravity Metal Wheel on the Watch List beside the freshly unbanned duo is no accident. The Gravity Metal Wheel is strong, reliable, and versatile just like Libra and Dark Knight, so it too will be under scrutiny as we see how the MFL meta and players adapt to the broadening of the roster. 

All Burst Formats: "Hasbro Only" Variant Rule Added!
Given that this ruling exists for the Burst Standard Format to increase accessibility and that a couple of the older formats can adequately exist in a Hasbro Only environment, we are adding the following variant rule to the other Burst Formats, exactly how it appears in the Burst Standard rulebook now (note: Format-specific rules still apply to this format variant) 

All Burst Format Rulebooks Wrote:Optional: Hasbro Only Format
In this optional variant of the Format, the following equipment is legal for use. Check the details of the tournament you are attending to see if this format will be used.

✓ Legal:
  • Hasbro Energy Layers & Performance Tips 
  • Both Takara-Tomy & Hasbro Launchers/Grips
  • Both Takara-Tomy Disks (that have been released by Hasbro) & Hasbro Forge Disks
  • Takara-Tomy Standard Type BeyStadium
  • Takara Tomy Level chips may be used for appropriate Hasbro layers
✗ Illegal:
  • Takara-Tomy Layers & Drivers

Feedback?
If you have any feedback on these particular changes, or any questions or suggestions for further adjustments or additions, please post your thoughts below or in the WBO Organized Play Rules thread.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support of WBO Organized Play! We appreciate any and all feedback and are always looking to improve and clarify things where possible.
Good updates! Also thank you so much for the Hasbro Only Update I cannot begin to think how funny it would've been if all WC were just pro sparking lol
A little surprising to see Dark Knight and Libra unbanned, when it felt like the public opinion was leaning more in favor of keeping them banned and banning Gravity instead.

No Drift and Bearing Drift optional ban in Burst Standard or Burst Classic either? Would love to hear more direct input from staff on the reasons for not doing so, as public approval leans more in favor of both of them than it has with a handful of the recent ruling updates.
(Apr. 11, 2023  2:16 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: A little surprising to see Dark Knight and Libra unbanned, when it felt like the public opinion was leaning more in favor of keeping them banned and banning Gravity instead.

No Drift and Bearing Drift optional ban in Burst Standard or Burst Classic either? Would love to hear more direct input from staff on the reasons for not doing so, as public approval leans more in favor of both of them than it has with a handful of the recent ruling updates.

I agree tbh. I still have very mixed feelings about Libra here, though I agree Dark Knight isn't a massive threat it's also hard to fit it in while Gravity still rules the scene. Dark Knight kinda just feels like a powered down Gravity, with the only advantage being its more impressive vertical range, so why ever consider running dark Knight when Gravity already does the job better for most other situations?

I do think this "Hasbro Only" thing does help solve the Pro Series issue though. Pro Series Limited is effectively the real Hasbro Only format I was hoping for, and it's now something I'd really like to try out sometime.
I will just quickly say I very much promise Libra is being watched very closely. My own opinion on the healthiest Banlist for the format hasn't changed since my post in the discussion thread.
(Apr. 11, 2023  2:16 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: A little surprising to see Dark Knight and Libra unbanned, when it felt like the public opinion was leaning more in favor of keeping them banned and banning Gravity instead.

It's possible that Drift/BDr will take longer to settle on a solution for, especially since Th!nk and Crisis' "Unlimited" format proposal came out a little over a week ago and probably still needs to be discussed. Although I do agree that the issue with Classic maybe could have been resolved by now, either with the removal of the Drift family or the removal of Dragoon S/F.
(Apr. 11, 2023  2:16 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: A little surprising to see Dark Knight and Libra unbanned, when it felt like the public opinion was leaning more in favor of keeping them banned and banning Gravity instead.

The thing with this is, there hasn't been any formal testing for driftless classic yet. However, I will refer back to you after my event.
Even if Libra ends up banned in a month, I think the changes are good to shake stuff up, a tad, at the very least.

Seconding TSO, hopefully we see changes in regards to the current Drift and Drift adjacent parts issue in Burst sooner than later.
A suggestion for the wording of the "Hasbro Only" rule, as there's already been a few questions/clarifications asked by users. Text aims to clarify about Pro Series and what "Hasbro Parts" constitutes, as well as adding exemptions for certain TT Layers/Chassis, etc. Under the current text, things like TT's "Rage" Ring cannot be used, when it is the same part as Hasbro's Pro Series "Raid" Ring. References to Pro Series below (in blue) can be exempt from BSL and BSC format rulebooks.

✓ Legal:
  • Any Layers & Drivers released by Hasbro, including Pro Series.
  • Exception: Takara Tomy Layers & Drivers that are identical to Pro Series Layers & Drivers may be used. Example: Takara Tomy's "Destroy Dash" Driver can be used, as Hasbro released it in Pro Series. Takara Tomy's "Metal Destroy" Driver was not released by Hasbro, and does not count as an identical part; "Metal Destroy" cannot be used.
  • Hasbro AND Takara Tomy Launchers, Grips, and other Accessories.
  • Hasbro Forge Discs.
  • Exception: Takara Tomy Forge Discs that are identical to those released by Hasbro may be used. Example: A Takara Tomy "Boost", "00", and "Sting" Disc can be used, as Hasbro released these in their main toyline and Pro Series. A Takara Tomy "Hurricane" Disc cannot be used, as Hasbro did not release it. Hasbro's "Hurricane-H" Disc does not count as an identical part to Takara Tomy's "Hurricane" Disc.
  • Takara Tomy's Burst Beystadium Standard Type.
  • Takara Tomy's Beystadium DB Standard Type.
  • Takara Tomy's Level Chips may be used for the appropriate Hasbro Layers.

✗ Illegal:
  • Takara Tomy parts (see Exceptions above).
(Apr. 11, 2023  4:43 AM)KIO Wrote: A suggestion for the wording of the "Hasbro Only" rule, as there's already been a few questions/clarifications asked by users. Text aims to clarify about Pro Series and what "Hasbro Parts" constitutes, as well as adding exemptions for certain TT Layers/Chassis, etc. Under the current text, things like TT's "Rage" Ring cannot be used, when it is the same part as Hasbro's Pro Series "Raid" Ring. References to Pro Series below (in blue) can be exempt from BSL and BSC format rulebooks.

✓ Legal:
  • Exception: Takara Tomy Layers & Drivers that are identical to Pro Series Layers & Drivers may be used. Example: Takara Tomy's "Destroy Dash" Driver can be used, as Hasbro released it in Pro Series. Takara Tomy's "Metal Destroy" Driver was not released by Hasbro, and does not count as an identical part; "Metal Destroy" cannot be used.
  • Hasbro Forge Discs.
  • Exception: Takara Tomy Forge Discs that are identical to those released by Hasbro may be used. Example: A Takara Tomy "Boost", "00", and "Sting" Disc can be used, as Hasbro released these in their main toyline and Pro Series. A Takara Tomy "Hurricane" Disc cannot be used, as Hasbro did not release it. Hasbro's "Hurricane-H" Disc does not count as an identical part to Takara Tomy's "Hurricane" Disc.

✗ Illegal:

Can definitely look at clarification now people might actually play it. Will go through these when I get a chance.
(Apr. 11, 2023  4:43 AM)KIO Wrote: A suggestion for the wording of the "Hasbro Only" rule, as there's already been a few questions/clarifications asked by users. Text aims to clarify about Pro Series and what "Hasbro Parts" constitutes, as well as adding exemptions for certain TT Layers/Chassis, etc. Under the current text, things like TT's "Rage" Ring cannot be used, when it is the same part as Hasbro's Pro Series "Raid" Ring. References to Pro Series below (in blue) can be exempt from BSL and BSC format rulebooks.

✓ Legal:
  • Hasbro Forge Discs.

✗ Illegal:

That would be really helpful as to consistute what is Hasbro and what isn't. My only worry, is that if Hasbro goes and does Dynamite Battle parts for Pro series, this will turn to a very weird Standard format that would just be regular Standard but with some parts banned. Another side of the coin and how some people, including myself, would interpret "hasbro only" is to ban Pro Series parts entirely, because I can certainly see some people thinking they are just rehashes of TT (which they technically are, albeit low quality). But that's only my take. Is fine to disagree with me.
(Apr. 12, 2023  2:16 PM)Tyranitar66501 Wrote:

✓ Legal:
  • Hasbro Forge Discs.

✗ Illegal:

That would be really helpful as to consistute what is Hasbro and what isn't. My only worry, is that if Hasbro goes and does Dynamite Battle parts for Pro series, this will turn to a very weird Standard format that would just be regular Standard but with some parts banned. Another side of the coin and how some people, including myself, would interpret "hasbro only" is to ban Pro Series parts entirely, because I can certainly see some people thinking they are just rehashes of TT (which they technically are, albeit low quality). But that's only my take. Is fine to disagree with me.

This has also been my worry as well, before Pro Series Superking, I called it "BGT format with less options".

I believe the idea was to have access to a format for Pro Series while it was still on store shelves. But 2 years from now, when Pro Series is no longer sold, I wonder how Hasbro only will function - since it'll be mostly Rage 3A format, assuming we don't get DB.
Yeah im gonna be in the camp of "pro series parts banned", and probably will just become repeat of Sparking meta.
(Apr. 13, 2023  12:12 PM)Tyranitar66501 Wrote: Yeah im gonna be in the camp of "pro series parts banned", and  probably will just become repeat of Sparking meta.

Agree. PS parts should count as TT parts, and only parts released in mainline should be legal.
Can you use slingshock and hypersphere tips
(Apr. 12, 2023  5:46 PM)KIO Wrote:
(Apr. 12, 2023  2:16 PM)Tyranitar66501 Wrote: That would be really helpful as to consistute what is Hasbro and what isn't. My only worry, is that if Hasbro goes and does Dynamite Battle parts for Pro series, this will turn to a very weird Standard format that would just be regular Standard but with some parts banned. Another side of the coin and how some people, including myself, would interpret "hasbro only" is to ban Pro Series parts entirely, because I can certainly see some people thinking they are just rehashes of TT (which they technically are, albeit low quality). But that's only my take. Is fine to disagree with me.

This has also been my worry as well, before Pro Series Superking, I called it "BGT format with less options".

I believe the idea was to have access to a format for Pro Series while it was still on store shelves. But 2 years from now, when Pro Series is no longer sold, I wonder how Hasbro only will function - since it'll be mostly Rage 3A format, assuming we don't get DB.

This is why we made it a clause for each format rather than a clause in BST only as it was prior to this. It makes it extremely low maintenance regarding bans and most sloped parts are at the same power level as BSL, so the overall goal of this, for me, was BSL-H. Prior to this, it was exactly what you describe. Discussion about fixing it also went around in circles for years, so this was a lot easier than doing a slopes only format and then having to work out a Banlist for it independently, especially if more excessively strong stuff comes up. It's very hard to determine what to ban from a format that is only hosted very rarely, after all.
(Apr. 13, 2023  11:41 PM)th!nk Wrote:
(Apr. 12, 2023  5:46 PM)KIO Wrote: This has also been my worry as well, before Pro Series Superking, I called it "BGT format with less options".

This is why we made it a clause for each format rather than a clause in BST only. It makes it extremely low maintenance regarding bans and most sloped parts are at the same power level as BSL, so the overall goal of this, for me, was BSL-H. Prior to this, it was exactly what you describe. Discussion about fixing it also went around in circles for years, so this was a lot easier than doing a slopes only format and then having to work out a Banlist for it independently, especially if more excessively strong stuff comes up. It's very hard to determine what to ban from a format that is only hosted very rarely, after all.

That's a fair compromise, since Hasbro-only BSL is essentially slopes format with a few banned parts. Better than waiting several more months for a slopes format, when the difference is a few parts and a format name.
(Apr. 14, 2023  12:22 AM)KIO Wrote:
(Apr. 13, 2023  11:41 PM)th!nk Wrote: This is why we made it a clause for each format rather than a clause in BST only. It makes it extremely low maintenance regarding bans and most sloped parts are at the same power level as BSL, so the overall goal of this, for me, was BSL-H. Prior to this, it was exactly what you describe. Discussion about fixing it also went around in circles for years, so this was a lot easier than doing a slopes only format and then having to work out a Banlist for it independently, especially if more excessively strong stuff comes up. It's very hard to determine what to ban from a format that is only hosted very rarely, after all.

That's a fair compromise, since Hasbro-only BSL is essentially slopes format with a few banned parts. Better than waiting several more months for a slopes format, when the difference is a few parts and a format name.

The only downside is you do still have the Gen stuff that is legal in bsl albeit limited to pro drivers so... Very questionably useful, but it is kinda... What it is. Better than rage running rampant and more balanced than having every sloped part in one format, and infinitely easier to keep updated than having it as its own thing that doesn't get played enough to spot issues.
(Apr. 14, 2023  12:28 AM)th!nk Wrote:
(Apr. 14, 2023  12:22 AM)KIO Wrote: That's a fair compromise, since Hasbro-only BSL is essentially slopes format with a few banned parts. Better than waiting several more months for a slopes format, when the difference is a few parts and a format name.

The only downside is you do still have the Gen stuff that is legal in bsl albeit limited to pro drivers so... Very questionably useful, but it is kinda... What it is. Better than rage running rampant and more balanced than having every sloped part in one format, and infinitely easier to keep updated than having it as its own thing that doesn't get played enough to spot issues.

Not sure whether to be in the camp of banning Gen or allowing it. Considering GT stuff isn't too compeititve in BSL, but i just checked the BSL rulebook and there may be a slight contradiction right here, because Ace, Slash, Venom, Union did get released in Pro Series, but Pro series is banned?

https://imgur.com/a/CEUPCwe

[Image: CEUPCwe]

So kinda confused.
(Apr. 14, 2023  10:31 AM)Tyranitar66501 Wrote:
(Apr. 14, 2023  12:28 AM)th!nk Wrote: The only downside is you do still have the Gen stuff that is legal in bsl albeit limited to pro drivers so... Very questionably useful, but it is kinda... What it is. Better than rage running rampant and more balanced than having every sloped part in one format, and infinitely easier to keep updated than having it as its own thing that doesn't get played enough to spot issues.

Not sure whether to be in the camp of banning Gen or allowing it. Considering GT stuff isn't too compeititve in BSL, but i just checked the BSL rulebook and there may be a slight contradiction right here, because Ace, Slash, Venom, Union did get released in Pro Series, but Pro series is banned?

https://imgur.com/a/CEUPCwe

[Image: CEUPCwe]

So kinda confused.

This was probably just an oversight. Pro Series versions of Ace, Slash, Venom, Union should be legal.

As for the Gen stuff remaining in there, I don't see any problems with it currently.

Removing Gen would streamline the banlist a bit and make the format perspective slightly more concise, but at the same time we have a 2023 QuadStrike Layer against a 2017 God Layer.

Gen stuff is harmless and mostly just more Jank for the current balanced state of Jank BSL.
i missed dark knight so much
Why can't the Pro Series stadium be used in Hasbro only Burst formats?
(Apr. 19, 2023  1:52 AM)Gypsy Blader Wrote: Why can't the Pro Series stadium be used in Hasbro only Burst formats?

It can. The format rules take precedent over the Hasbro rules - you apply the format rules first, then the Hasbro rules; the Pro Stadium is legal in all Burst formats. The reason the TT stadiums were listed was to clarify what TT products (stadiums included) are legal.