Your Worst Subject/s in School

Want to know why nobody passed the gym class I was in during my Senior year?

Dressing up is too much to ask for. Literally all we did was the same damn thing accompanied by a few tests. The tests were the only extraordinarily different things ever being accomplished. And they were in a tight occasion- every other third week or worse (for our credibility), subject. It was about about five games and we only played about two of them. So dressing out was the least challenging part of the class.

We had it easy. People made it hard by just refusing to dress.

To properly describe it, would be to call "7th Period Real-Life Facebook". I took my one-year ledger and marked every A/b-Day 3/7 period henceforth "The closest thing to real life facebook, or socializing as they call it."...
(Oct. 22, 2011  1:25 AM)Tris Wrote: I'm too ashamed to say </3
(That's how bad it is)

Then do not post ... Or, do not mind that, because you just have to say what it is and why you think you fail it, not exactly what grades you got in it. That is up to you.

By the way, there is already a "Favorite Subject" topic or something with a similar title.
My P.E. classes were just a routine of very minor Cardiovascular excercises followed by half an hour of some mundane sport, chosen at random by the drunk former-janitor calling himself our P.E. Teacher. There was no particular dress code, and very seldom did anything but the most basic excercise routine occur. There was no education on how or why we should excercise, no focus on the inner workings, no emphasis on dietary habits, etc. And, my PE experience is pretty much typical of the US, nowadays.

Due to frequent surgeries, I was exempt from P.E. starting at the age of 11. I attended and watched, but could not participate, so I rarely did anything but sleep.

The classes would be relevant to human functionality if they were actually informative in any way, but simply being given minor excercises and playing a sport for 30~ minutes a day? With absolutely no catering to individuality, no teaching whatsoever, etc. I gained more from the class sleeping than any single person gained actually participating, and that's an honest-to-God fact.

I'd be all for a P.E. class that actually had people teaching it that knew what the "e" stands for, and lived up to it. Sadly, this is not the reality most people encounter.
That's my exact story of my life. I love tennis but I'm not athletic in any way.
I managed to make friends with the PE Coach despite leaving class early just to get out. I mean BEST FRIENDS with my first one of Senior Year.

EDIT:

Yes I actually did something in gym besides sitting with my friends and talking about various things we shouldn't in front of adults- I mean for real- I made most out of what I did those only two activities.
But why is "not athletic" a natural thing to most people who say that?
(Oct. 22, 2011  3:30 AM)Hazel Wrote: My P.E. classes were just a routine of very minor Cardiovascular excercises followed by half an hour of some mundane sport, chosen at random by the drunk former-janitor calling himself our P.E. Teacher. There was no particular dress code, and very seldom did anything but the most basic excercise routine occur. There was no education on how or why we should excercise, no focus on the inner workings, no emphasis on dietary habits, etc. And, my PE experience is pretty much typical of the US, nowadays.

Due to frequent surgeries, I was exempt from P.E. starting at the age of 11. I attended and watched, but could not participate, so I rarely did anything but sleep.

The classes would be relevant to human functionality if they were actually informative in any way, but simply being given minor excercises and playing a sport for 30~ minutes a day? With absolutely no catering to individuality, no teaching whatsoever, etc. I gained more from the class sleeping than any single person gained actually participating, and that's an honest-to-God fact.

I'd be all for a P.E. class that actually had people teaching it that knew what the "e" stands for, and lived up to it. Sadly, this is not the reality most people encounter.

Actual education in Physical Education courses start in late High School but mostly College/CÉGEP here. Nobody really cares about all the metablism's functions, what is important to eat, how much, what exercise you should be doing, etc. before those years anyway. Classes of Physical Education were mostly taken as ways to just move once in a while when otherwise you are always stuck sitting or walking slowly in corridors to another room where you will again sit. Sometimes, long-term projects were given, like a sort of cross-country, but everything else was mostly periods of specific sports or activities, and that was all the students needed.

I suppose it does make a difference if you attend a public school instead of a private school which wants to maintain a reputation of encouraging at least minimal activity.
(Oct. 22, 2011  3:43 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: But why is "not athletic" a natural thing to most people who say that?

Athleticism is a vocation, not a state of being. Athletic =/= Physically Active/Healthy.

Most P.E. classes involve athletics, not health. The two are not necessarily related.
(Oct. 22, 2011  3:47 AM)Hazel Wrote:
(Oct. 22, 2011  3:43 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: But why is "not athletic" a natural thing to most people who say that?

Athleticism is a vocation, not a state of being. Athletic =/= Physically Active/Healthy.

Most P.E. classes involve athletics, not health. The two are not necessarily related.

I don't understand this post, sorry.

How does improving athleticism (why I even do exercise in the first place) by eating healthy and exercising have nothing to do with athleticism? I used to be the absolute worst athlete, but when I got into all the fitness stuff, I could do things pretty much only a select few could do athletically.

Yeah so I don't get it and I'm probably misunderstanding.
I think he's saying an unathletic person could be active/healthy, and vice versa in very odd cases.
(Oct. 22, 2011  3:55 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote:
(Oct. 22, 2011  3:47 AM)Hazel Wrote:

I don't understand this post, sorry.

How does improving athleticism (why I even do exercise in the first place) by eating healthy and exercising have nothing to do with athleticism? I used to be the absolute worst athlete, but when I got into all the fitness stuff, I could do things pretty much only a select few could do athletically.

Yeah so I don't get it and I'm probably misunderstanding.

Not every athlete is doing right by their body(most aren't, in fact!). Not every healthy person is athletic(most aren't, in fact!).

This has been Roseanne, your guide to the world of facts.

To elaborate further, just in case another misunderstanding were to crop up, obviously every Olympian knows what they're doing. However, the lower down the professional level you go, the less likely an "athlete" is to be genuinely healthy. By the time you reach college sportsball, you've got people who are capable of living like slobs and still performing "athletically".

Flip it over - sports is pointless, to most people. Many people would rather pursue academic specialties in order to get their fulfillment in life. These people, however, can still lead extraordinarily healthy lifestyles.

You are the only human being I've ever spoken to that decided to go legitimately healthy because of school-based P.E./athletics. I'd be willing to bet you're in some astronomical minority that science cannot even measure.
(Oct. 22, 2011  1:36 AM)CRUelty Wrote: Technically, Physical Education is a subject, so...
It's by far my worst. I get an A+ in it, but with no feel of accomplishment. I am completely nonathletic, run a mile in ten minutes while others run one in 5:45, can't catch a football for the life of me, am super weak, can't hit or kick, can't shoot a basketball, and so much more. The most I can do is tennis, which is fun, but this school doesn't play tennis Argh!
Dude are you ME? My worst subject is gym but I get A+'s in it too! Last year I did so porley on the mile run they didn't even mark my time down; probably because I had to redo it 3 times. I also play tennis, but can't do anything else in any other sport besides golf.
It's no mystery that a lot of kids here would kill to get planked instead of doing anything there. Quite obvious to a painful extent. Heh. (Let's just say one of the conversations I had with these two students involved a list of "would you rather"s and it got a bit mean. Heh.)

Anyway,

My second worst would have to be Speech, but that was an effect of the other students being terrible human beings.
(Oct. 22, 2011  3:59 AM)Hazel Wrote: Not every athlete is doing right by their body(most aren't, in fact!). Not every healthy person is athletic(most aren't, in fact!).

This has been Roseanne, your guide to the world of facts.

To elaborate further, just in case another misunderstanding were to crop up, obviously every Olympian knows what they're doing. However, the lower down the professional level you go, the less likely an "athlete" is to be genuinely healthy. By the time you reach college sportsball, you've got people who are capable of living like slobs and still performing "athletically".

Flip it over - sports is pointless, to most people. Many people would rather pursue academic specialties in order to get their fulfillment in life. These people, however, can still lead extraordinarily healthy lifestyles.

You are the only human being I've ever spoken to that decided to go legitimately healthy because of school-based P.E./athletics. I'd be willing to bet you're in some astronomical minority that science cannot even measure.

I still don't get what this has to do with people saying "naturally unathletic"?

And I didn't decide to become a healthier individual for athletics?
(Oct. 22, 2011  4:18 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: I still don't get what this has to do with people saying "naturally unathletic"?

Then I am the one that misinterpreted something! I apologize.

I guess I do not understand what your original question meant.

Quote:But why is "not athletic" a natural thing to most people who say that?
My worst subjects:
Art, Irish, Geography, Science, French.

So yeah, not exactly a smart student...
I fail at spanish. Literally I can't even say a sentence in spanish. It's so god damn hard......and my teacher is so mean i just want to smash his skull in.
History. My worst subject is History but I still manage to get a 92 in my report card.
My worst subject is probably Reading, because you have to do so much work, so I rush through it and end up with a bad grade.
This one bimbo in the Speech class I was in exclaimed "MAN READING SUUUUX~". I actually sat in front of her, one of the first students that made hitting a female peer seem almost acceptable. Tired
(Oct. 22, 2011  4:25 AM)Hazel Wrote:
(Oct. 22, 2011  4:18 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: I still don't get what this has to do with people saying "naturally unathletic"?

Then I am the one that misinterpreted something! I apologize.

I guess I do not understand what your original question meant.

Quote:But why is "not athletic" a natural thing to most people who say that?
Ah, haha, that's why nothing made sense to me!

What I mean, is that why do people who say they're "not athletic" think that there's no possibility they'll be/actually are athletic? There's a word called effort, and the effort to get better makes you a better athlete. So I just don't understand why people treat athleticism as a gift or disability.

I was the worst athlete ever about 4 years ago. When I got into health and fitness I improved, and improved, and improved to the point where I'm among the top 10 in my grade, top 2-3 in my PE classes, etc. Not the greatest, but not the bad athlete I was.

People treat athleticism as a characteristic, not a physical/current status, when it's actually the other way around. I think that's a good way of putting it.
Yeah, but some people don't work hard or practice at all, they're just naturally good. Whereas others try harder than anyone, yet still don't succeed as much as others do. So, in a sense, it's a characteristic and a status.
English.
Essays.
And Daily Grammar Practice.
I hate diagramming sentences.
I do relatively well in everything else though. But English... IAJKDSHDAKLJS
Ah, see, I didn't see that in what you said at all, so it was on my end. My mistake!

I actually was a fairly athletic individual up until the surgeries started, then physical limitations made it simply impossible to keep it up in any way.

However, my circumstances are extremely specific, so I don't see why anyone would think a lack of health/athletic ability is a permanent state without extenuating circumstances behind it. There are even asthmatic Olympians.